2016 Shooting Off Season Checklist for Competition and LTC Carry
The holiday season is officially the off season for most of the shooting sports. Even though many of the local clubs are still holding local matches (including shilohidpa.com), between work and family commitments, I will not be able to attend for most if not all of them in December. Bummer!
Despite if you participate in any shooting matches like IDPA, USPA, or even 3 gun, use this time of to check your gear (CHL, LTC, or CCW gear included) and firearms and replenish your gear bags and safety gear, like first aid kits.
Here are just a few of the items that should be on your checklist:
- Perform a field strip cleaning on all of your firearms, especially your carry pistols. Remember to clear them first!
- Examine your firearm for any broken or worn out parts. Replace if needed, or take to a qualified gunsmith for repair.
- If it has been a while, replace your carry ammo with new “clean” ammunition. Don’t throw out the old gear, shoot it at the range.
- Examine, clean, perform general maintenance on your magazines, holsters, flashlights, and any other gear you carry.
- Check to make sure screws are tight, oil or re-condition if needed, replace if worn out, etc.
- Replace your flashlights with new batteries.
- Clean out and replenish your gear bags and first aid kits.
And just so that it is said, even though I will not make the local matches this month, I’m still practicing my dry fire routines and shooting at the range when I can. Great time to get back to and focus on the basics!
And even though it isn’t very often, stay in shape. How many professional athletes take a few weeks, or even months, to get back in shape after the season has already started, and it shows?
Be safe during the holiday season and enjoy the time with your family and friends!