Texas Community College Campus Carry in Effect Today
I know that DoubleActionCHL has been quiet for a while on our BLOG, but we are back. Many new and exciting changes are in the works, but more about those later.
One major Texas LTC law goes into affect today, and many other September 1st. We will review the September 1st laws in later BLOG posts, so stay tuned for those.
Texas Community College Campus Carry in Effect Today. The portion of Senate Bill 11 which allows CONCEALED CARRY ONLY on Texas Community Colleges goes into effect today, August 1st, 2017. This allows a Texas LTC holder to conceal carry on a Texas Community College Campus, unless otherwise denied. Check with your Community College first as they can deny concealed carry, according to the Bill posted below, via rules, regulations, or other provisions. This included 30.06 (30.07 doesn’t apply as you CAN’T open carry on any college campuses).
Senate Bill 11 Effective: August 1, 2016
Caption: Relating to the carrying of handguns on the campuses of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education; providing a criminal penalty.
- Authorizes a license holder to carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder’s person while the license holder is on the campus of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education in this state. Open carrying of handguns is still prohibited at these locations.
- Authorizes an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education in this state to establish rules, regulation, or other provisions concerning the storage of handguns in dormitories or other residential facilities that are owned or leased and operated by the institution and located on the campus of the institution.
- Requires the president or other chief executive officer of an institution of higher education in this state to establish reasonable rules, regulations, or other provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns by license holders on the campus or on specific premises located on the campus.
- Authorizes posting of a sign under Penal Code Section 30.06 with respect to any portion of a premises on which license holders may not carry.
- The effective date of this law for a public junior college is August 1, 2017